- Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in Edinburgh, UK
- MRCPsych, Charing Cross Psychiatry Training Scheme in London, UK
- Diploma in Psychological Medicine (DPM), Institute of Mental Health in Chennai, India
- MBBS at Madras Medical College in Chennai, India
Areas of Expertise
- Depressive disorders
- Bipolar mood disorders
- Postnatal depression and related mood problems
- Generalise anxiety disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Phobias including social phobia
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Stress related anxiety and depression
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Psychotic disorders
- Sleeping difficulties due to non-medical reasons
- Personality difficulties and disorders, including impulsivity and anger problems
- Tic disorders
Dr Aravinthan is a highly experienced and seasoned UK-trained Consultant Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience in the field of Psychiatry. He specialises in general adult psychiatry and rehabilitation.
Having completed extensive psychiatry training in the UK through highly regarded training programs in London and Edinburgh, Dr Aravinthan in 2011 became a Consultant Psychiatrist at NHS Tayside in Scotland. He worked in a variety of settings such as outpatients, community psychiatry, acute inpatient units and rehabilitation units. During this period as a consultant, Dr Aravinthan was well respected for his clinical skills and actively led large multidisciplinary teams of sizes ranging between 16-24.
Dr Aravinthan was the lead clinician for the inpatient rehabilitation unit and significantly contributed towards the shaping of this service. For two years, he was also the Clinical Lead for general adult psychiatry at their Perth Division and spearheaded the development of psychiatric services and refinement of clinical pathways, ensuring delivery of high quality care.
As an expert panel Psychiatrist for the Scottish Mental Health Tribunal Services, Dr Aravinthan attended and contributed to many tribunal hearings across Scotland over the years and gave his expert views. He was also a Section 22 approved medical practitioner under the Scottish Mental Health Act.
Following his time in the UK, Dr Aravinthan moved to the UAE in 2019 to work in the Behavioural Sciences Institute of Al Ain Hospital, SEHA, and continued to provide excellent clinical care in UAE. In this role, Dr Aravinthan contributed towards the development of pathways and policies to deliver esketamine therapy and helped to establish the services. In addition, he is well experienced in delivering electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) for difficult to treat depression and psychosis.
Dr Aravinthan’s special interest areas include anxiety disorders, mood disorders, PTSD and psychopharmacology.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr Aravinthan has contributed extensively to the teaching and training of medical students, psychiatry trainees and higher trainees in the UK through his various roles as clinical lecturer at Dundee Medical School and University, OSCE examiner and GMC (UK) approved trainer for core and higher psychiatric trainees. Currently as an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the UAE University in Al Ain, Dr Aravinthan continues to train the next generation of doctors.